Thursday, July 21, 2011

sum/yum

Isaac must have been listening when I asked our friend if he was ready for third grade because later he said to me, "My heart's excited for me to go to third grade, but I'm not." Good thing he's only going to preschool.

Speaking of school, the cashier asked us today while buying backpacks if we were getting ready for school and I replied by saying it's bittersweet. For the most part we've really enjoyed this summer. I went into it thinking it would be the best summer yet. So far I think it probably has. No babies, no teenagers. We can all hang out or go somewhere together. Yes, there's still lots of "MOM, he did this" and "MOM she did that" and in those moments school can't start quick enough.

What I'm not ready for is the times when my kids do get along. Times when we go to the pool or just sit and watch Wizards for and hour. Times we make a point of doing something that's on our summer list or a spontaneous twist cone from AC and going to the park at sunset to eat them. I think there's more I want to hold onto with regards to summer rather than face school. I know I'll be pretty close to wanting it here when it does come, but I hope we can still fill our time up with some fun things and enjoy these relaxing days of sunshine.

Oh, beautiful day! One of the first lovely days in June and Roman is learning how to mow the lawn.

Now for the yum part. I've discovered the most delicious chocolate frosting. I'm sure this recipe exists somewhere, but since I'm the one who put the ingredients into the bowl and tested and tweaked it a few times, I'm going to call it mine. So here it is:

Nikki's YUMMY Chocolate Frosting
2 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter softened
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I love the Ambrosia brand from Costco)
1/ 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp milk

In a small bowl melt chocolate chips in microwave*.
Beat cream cheese and butter in mixer until smooth.
Next add the melted chocolate and mix again.
Adding 1/2 cup at a time, slowly beat in the powdered sugar.
Continue to beat at medium to high speed and adding a bit of milk to reach desired consistency.

*Since my microwave is probably 30 years old I won't tell you how to melt your chocolate. But, if you'd like some tips I'd be happy to help.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Yay! I love a Nikki recipe! I can't wait to try it!